Self-care is a topic that has been trending for a long while now and a lot of us still don’t understand the whole idea and that is why I will be sharing some self-care ideas in today’s post.
After we have ”dissected” and ”explored” self-care and it’s benefits.
Self-care is very paramount if we want to avoid burn out. We get so caught up with the hustle and bustle that is life, so much that we forget to take care of ourselves.
I am a firm believer in self-care. So much so I wrote about the importance of self-love. Some may think, it is a delusional concept but it is not!
Read It: The Importance of Self Love
Self-care is so important for our overall wellbeing but ironically, we often forget to practice it
What Is Self Care?
The question needs answering! So what is self-care? Self-care is all those things you do, activities we carry out to feel good about ourselves.
Too simple right? Well, it is not that simple nor is it difficult! However, the average self-care gig will only be about taking care of yourself, say having a massage.
It is deeper and richer than that. Self-care is paramount if we want to achieve our goals in life. Be it mental, physical, financial or otherwise!
So self-care is taking care of your body, mind, and soul! This is achieved by and in carrying out several activities.
Self-care practices, however, do not need to be major or dramatic! It could be as simple as having a cup of green tea or as huge as going on a cruise.
The underlying purpose of self-care should be about caring and loving yourself because they are critical to your mental well being as well as emotional balance.
When you care and love yourself, you will be able to take care of other aspects of your life and of course care and love others.
Remember, you can’t give what you don’t have.
No truer words have been said!
Read facts about mental health and know why you should practice self-care!
10 Facts About Mental Health You Should Know!
Think about this. Has anyone ever asked you how your relationship with yourself is?
I bet no one has! Self-care is essentially the relationship you have with yourself. The better the relationship is, the better you become!
See why you should practice some self-care ideas?
Read Also: 33 Self Care Quotes That Will Inspire you To Love Yourself More!
Benefits of Self Care: Self Care Ideas
With a great body and a sound mind, you are already more than halfway to achieving your goals, whatever they may be
Related: How To Set Goals & Achieve Them
If self-care takes care of our body, mind, and soul, it means there are lots of benefits to be had from practicing it.
Some 10 crucial self-care benefits are these:
- It reduces stress! Self-care plays a huge role in stress management. When you practice self-care, stress is reduced a lot and that leads to having a more productive life.
- Self-care can greatly improve your self-confidence and self-esteem! Often times, we are held back from pursuing our goals because we lack self-confidence. Practicing self-care is a way to improve yourself
- You get to have some alone time for yourself when you practice self-care. We are so caught up in the hustle and bustle that is life, that we never get to have alone time for ourselves.
- Self-care will give you soothing feelings. This is so because when you practice body self-care like say having massages and listening to soul music, gives you soothing feelings. Who doesn’t need that?
- Self-care promotes better relationships with ourselves. You get to understand and love yourself more because the more time you spend taking care of yourself, the better you become at knowing what your needs are.
- Another benefit of self-care is improved productivity and motivation! You become more productive, body and soul and that, in turn, gives you the motivation you require to do more and be a better version of yourself.
- You do away with negative self-talk when you practice self-care. This means that self-care promotes positivity! If you ask me, we need all the positivity we can get and it begins with us!
- Self-care reduces the risk of illnesses. I hear you. I want to be in great health even in my eighties and this is the best time to start taking care of yourself. Fortunately, a great self-care regime will help you achieve that!
- Self-care also improves your communication with nature and people. You are more aware of your environment and in touch with everything when you do practice self-care
- Self-care equals self-love and we all know how self-love impacts our lives generally!
Amazing Ways To Simplify Your Life
Self Care Ideas For Women
There are lots of cheap and free self care ideas for women out there but we will make do of these best 26 self care ideas to ease us into practicing self care and loving ourselves better as women.
Practicing self-care is a way of showing up for yourself. It is putting yourself on top your to-do list, putting yourself as priority number one because you need a healthy you to ace your goals and live a life of purpose.
How To Take Better Care Of Yourself
5 Amazing Self Care Challenges Every Woman Should Try!
Self Care Ideas: Body
Like I wrote earlier, self-care transcends the physical but you still need to carry out some care on your body: physical.
There are a lot of ways you can practice self-care for the body. From taking a warm bath to strolling in a park, you never can get it wrong when you do them.
Some self-care ideas for your body include the following
1. Self Grooming
While I don’t go crazy about polishing my nails, I am a big fan of self-grooming. It is a self-confidence booster and not something you would want to leave out in self-care.
There are lots of self-care ideas when it comes to self-grooming and yours truly is here to help!
- Take a warm bath. Bring out all the scented soaps, bath bombs, scented candles and pamper yourself.
- Always take time out to look nice. Wear clothes that make you feel confident. Like they say, looking good is good business
- Get a massage! I absolutely love massages. Make all those limbs loose and knots go away. Get boo to give you one or hire a masseuse.
- Have a Pedi and Mani. Look for a great DIY on Pinterest and save some money!
- Develop a great skincare regimen/routine. Pamper your skin
- Get in the Sauna and sweat those toxins out!
- Incorporate spa sessions in your routine!
2. Getting Physical
Getting physical is about connecting your body and mind. This is very necessary for our emotional and mental well being.
These are some physical self-care ideas you can practice to love and better yourself.
- Make changes to your sedentary lifestyle. Hit the gym, start swimming, jogging or even walking! For healthy lifestyle tips, follow these blogs I absolutely love Green Living and Green Chef for great healthy meal ideas!
- Eat healthy meals. Mean Green Chef mentioned in the previous self-care idea, has lots of healthy meals you can use and also meal prep to avoid snacking on unhealthy food items.
- Take a stroll in a nature park or have a jog.
- Practice Yoga.
- Create a space in your home for exercise. Don’t just wish for it.
- Then go ahead and invest in small exercise equipment you can use at home and can afford.
Self Care Ideas: Mind & Soul
There is a deep connection between the body, mind, and soul that we tend to overlook oftentimes.
There is the general misconception that when we talk about mental and emotional wellbeing, it is only about the mind.
Well, mental well being is not only about the mind. The body plays a big role also. Practicing self-care that incorporates the body, mind, and soul secures your mental and emotional well being.
Some self-care for your rejuvenating your mind and soul are:
- Get a journal or diary and write every single one of your thoughts down. Remember, how we said, self-care is about having a relationship with yourself? This is a great way to start. There are lots of journaling prompts on Pinterest mentioned above you can use.
- Practice gratitude, meditation, and mindfulness.
- Invest in and read self-help and self-improvement books. You can start with these ones 3 Self Improvement Books. Reading relaxes you!
- Take a nap. Sleep, good sleep is an essential part of self-care no one should ignore!
- Change your mindset. Unlearn the things you learned in the environment you grew up in. Substitute negative self-talk with positivity. One way to do this is by using affirmations. Here is a list of 101 Affirmations for just about anything.
- Bring out your creative side! Drawing and coloring are very soothing activities that are good for your mind and soul. Bring out your thoughts on paint/artwork. Here are 10 ways to boost your Creativity
- Learn to say NO. To yourself and others! We tend to take on more than we can chew. We want to be superwomen, to be known as the good ones to our own detriment in most cases. Don’t say yes when you mean to say no.
- Always take part in social activities. Not the type that leads to burn out! Social activities like volunteering have been known to improve self-confidence and promote good soothing feelings and this is good for your mind and soul!
- Feed your mind and soul by eating nutritious and healthy meals. A sound body has a sound mind and soul. Leafy greens and vegetables are the way to go.
- Take time out to watch the sunset and sunrise! Keep still and just admire nature.
- Practice deep breathing!
- Buy and keep a stress ball in your bag! Having a bad day and feel like screaming? Squeeze the stress ball instead!
- Take a break from the hustle and bustle. Go on a vacation. It doesn’t have to be in a foreign country! Take a trip to the next city and soak up the culture!
How To Practice Gratitude As A Form Of Self Care
Conclusion: Self Care Ideas
We cannot separate our body from our mind and soul when it comes to our mental and emotional wellbeing. That means that whatever self-care ideas you’d like to include in your self-care routine must and should take care of your body, mind and soul needs.
Self-care should not have to be expensive for it to count as self-care. There are lots of cheap DIYs out there. Make use of them. Like I said earlier, Pinterest is chockful of useful and helpful resources. Do not shy away from self-care because you feel it is about being selfish. It is not!
When you take care of yourself physically, emotionally and mentally, you get the ”power” you need to achieve your goals. This makes it possible for you to live the kind of life you want and be able to help others.
Would love to hear from you! What are your go-to self-care ideas? Let me know in comments and don’t forget to share!
Cool post! Are you a shoe collector? Hello, we are from Dealteria. We are well known for collections of unique problem-solving products. One such best selling product in our footwear collection is Shoe Organizer. You will like it.
Love this post. Self-care doesn’t have to expensive or elaborate, it can be as simple as self-grooming, having a nice wee cup of tea in fluffy socks etc. I personally love self-care, even though I have to convince myself to do it.
Self care is the most important! These are great ideas that I am definitely going to put to use TODAY!
Glad I could be of help, Stephanie. Best of luck on your self care journey!
I am honoured to be mentioned on your lovely blog, I always enjoy reading! great article here, self-care is so important and so often overlooked, appreciate all of the great tips. Thank you so much for sharing our little neck of the woods!
You are welcome Angela, I love your food blog because it is full of great food recipes and believe it is worth mentioning! Thanks for reading and also finding time to comment!
I am so happy we are in an era where self-care is priority. Self-care is balance and loving yourself!
I am too! It is an era of self care and I am keying in!
You can say that again, Kiwi!Thanks for reading!
Taking a warm bath really can do wonders. I haven’t done that in awhile. Even better if there’s tons of bubbles!
Lol! You can say that again Rosey!
Yes, I absolutely love this! Need to implement some of these soon.
Thanks. Glad I could be of help!
Thanks Angelina! You are most welcome!
Nnniiccceeeee….for now, I do workout everyday and take off a month to myself, for everything that I do! It has done wonders for me.
Thanks Ntensibe! For reading and finding time to comment! I’m trying to get a gym membership right about now because I moved from one city to another. Need to get in all the self care I need!
Self-care has always been important, but I feel like it’s especially important now that so many of us are freelancing instead of working a typical 9-5 office job. Time is money, so it’s hard for us to WANT to take a break. But it’s crucial that we take time for ourselves! Our mental faculties deserve a break, and that way we can be back to working at our maximum potential!
Candance, I absolutely get you! There are days I sit at the front of my computer for hours trying to figure out a lot of things when it comes to blogging: site speed, DAs, SEOs, Affiliate marketing, and all whatnots and then completely ignore every other thing! This is what even makes it more crucial for self-care as you say! We will get it right, hopefully! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read and comment! I appreciate!
Great article and so true, we can only be better versions of ourselves if we first use some self-care!
Self-care is fairly new to me but it makes so much sense! Without it how are we meant to help other people or even function?
Indeed! How can we help ourselves and each other without self-care? Thanks for visiting, reading and taking the time to comment, Nyxie! Enjoy the rest of the week and have a great weekend ahead