As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Its mental health week and the internet is agog with different views on mental health and coping with it. I believe a lot of us have been faced with mental health issues at one point or the other in our lives. Here are 10 surprising mental health facts that will spur you into taking care of your mental health and wellbeing.
Your mental health is a sum total of your psychological and emotional well being
The status of your mental health/well being is not something to be ashamed of but rather should be talked about and shared as talking and sharing will go a long way to helping you cope.
What Is Mental Health?
Table Of Contents
Mental health is a sum total of your psychological and behavioral well being. It is a person’s condition as regards their psychological and emotional well being. Simply put, mental health is an absence of mental illnesses.
Hiding Mental Health Status
I think striking a balance between your psychological and emotional well being could be difficult if one is being faced with a lot of personal issues but it is ideal you do. Your mental health and well being will ultimately determine the quality of life you live.
Years ago, while at the university, I used the services of a male stylist who was so gifted and talented, the way he ended shook the town where I lived.
There was no hairstyle this guy couldn’t handle. The babes that were the creme de la creme of the town, lined up to have their hair done by him. He was always fully booked and you are lucky if you go without an appointment and you get attended to. He was that good.
Monday (that was his name), was a jovial, fast-talking smallish guy. Aside from being a great hairstylist, he was also a good joker. He would make clients laugh nonstop (well unless you are the type that is difficult to please lol). The time just goes and then voila, you are all done and looking all glam!
I felt the guy had everything going well for him, his life mapped out with him going high and mighty places with his talent and good relation skills or so I thought not until I went home from a school holiday and was told he committed suicide! He hung himself! On a ceiling fan!
It was crazy and so sad. His death was discussed along the breadth and length of the town, and of course, even those that didn’t know him nor have any personal contacts with him whatsoever, had one or two, two cents juicy stories to tell!
The long and short of the whole sad incident was that Monday had some psychological and emotional problems that led to him taking his own life. Rather than seek help, he took an alternative route!
Don’t go there. Please! Your life is worth more than any issues you are going through right now. It is a phase and it will pass. Trust me!
Early Signs of Mental Disorders
Sadly though, suicidal thoughts and suicide are one of the common problems of people suffering from one form or the other.
Early warning signs of mental disorders include the following: eating or sleeping too much or too little, thoughts of harming oneself and others, abuse of drugs and alcohol, hearing voices in your head, feeling numb and like as if nothing matters, severe mood swings, feelings of helplessness and hopelessness to mention but a few.
Importance Of Mental Health
The importance of mental health cannot be overemphasized. Seeing as it involves our emotional, psychological, and social well being, it affects how we think, feel, and act.
The level of our mental health determines how we react to situations and the choices we make in life.
This is why it is important to strike a balance so as to maintain positive mental health at all times.
10 Mental Health Facts
The World Health Organization (WHO) has extensively researched the issue of mental health and have come up with facts associated with it. These facts are built around the leading causes of mental illness as well as its effects.
- Mental Health Facts: Fact 1: 20% of the world’s children and adolescents have mental disorders or problems. Now that is a huge percent of the population to be worried about! Half of the mental disorders begin before the age of 14 according to WHO stats.
- Mental Health Facts: Fact 2: Mental and substance use disorders are the leading cause of disability worldwide.Your mental health is crucial to achieving your goals and living the life you deserve! Click To Tweet
- Mental Health Facts: Fact 3: About 800,000 people commit suicide every year. Suicide is the second leading cause of death among persons between the ages of 15 and 29. Mental disorders play a huge role in these statistics.
- Mental Health Facts: Fact 4: War and disaster have a large impact on mental health and psychosocial well being. This, therefore, mean that war-torn countries have a higher rate of mental illnesses in relation to where there is peace.
- Mental Health Facts: Fact 5: Mental disorders are important risk factors for other diseases as well as unintentional and intentional injury. What this means that mental disorders increase the risk of getting ill from other diseases such as HIV, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and vice versa.
- Mental Health Facts: Fact 6: Stigma and discrimination against patients and families prevent people from seeking mental health care. Despite the existence of treatment for mental disorders, there’s a general misunderstanding that they are untreatable. This has led to a general stigma on people with mental disorders. Stigmatization can lead to abuse, rejection, and isolation thereby complicating issues, further.
- Mental Health Facts: Fact 7: Human rights violations of people with mental and psychosocial disabilities are routinely reported in most countries. Very few countries have a legal framework that adequately protects the rights of people with mental disorders.
- Mental Health Facts: Fact 8: Globally, there is a huge inequality in the distribution of skilled human resources for mental health. Shortages of psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, psychologists, and social workers are amongst the barriers to providing treatment in low and middle-income countries
- Mental Health Facts: Fact 9: There are 5 key barriers to increasing mental health services. These barriers include the absence of mental health from the public health agenda & implication for funding, the current organization of mental health services, lack of integration within primary care, inadequate human resources for mental health, and lack of public mental health leadership.
- Mental Health Facts: Fact 10: Financial resources to increase services are relatively modest.
7 Things: What To Do About Your Mental Health
Dealing and ensuring that you continually ensure a positive mental health status involves a combination of lifestyle changes. These could include but not limited to the following:
- Getting professional help if you need it. Often times, we want to bottle up a lot of things inside of us instead of speaking out and this ultimately leads to stress and affects our mental well being. When you think you are experiencing any form of mental health challenges, seek help! Doctors can point you towards the right medication that can help reduce certain symptoms of anxiety which can give you the clarity to focus on fixing the deep-rooted issues underneath. Especially as it’s now easy to have medication delivered to your door with online pharmacies it doesn’t have to feel like a major derailment of your life (although when it comes to online pharmacies, you should check the legitimacy by following this guide). People feel they shouldn’t go to the doctor because they may be put on all sorts of medication, but the fact is that it can help you to gain some clarity.
- Connecting with others. For a while now, I prefer my own company but that in itself can be injurious to health. No one is an island, it is not the way of things. Constantly connect with people. Of course, on a positive level.
- Keeping it positive at all times. Look up, look ahead. Try as much as possible to take the positives out of every situation. This helps you to be balanced. I did a whole blog post on positive daily affirmations that you can read HERE to help you with this.
- Getting enough sleep. For someone like me that has insomnia, this is not a small feat but I do and practice a number of things to make me get enough sleep. Sleep is good for the mind and is essential to have positive mental health.
- Getting physically active. I have recently started exercising again and it is a good feeling. You always feel good after a very good workout session and its relevance to your mental health cannot be overemphasized.
- Helping others. I cannot advocate for this enough. What the world need is love and one way you can show love is by helping others. This is one of those things you do that gives you a perpetual feeling of goodness deep inside of you. You know what translates to. Positive mental health.
- Development of coping skills. One of the big culprits of mental disorder is stress and stress usually happens when we do not have coping skills to deal with things happening around us. Look for things that you can do, that will relieve you of stress. My blog post on Stress Management will give you great insight on how to manage stress and ultimately help you maintain positive mental health status.
To further protect your mental health and well-being, check out these self-care blog posts to help you on the journey
Conclusion: Mental Health Facts You Should Know
There you have it. 10 mental health facts and what to do about mental health. How do you strike a balance that works for your mental health? Please share your tips on maintaining positive mental health. I look forward to hearing from you! Don’t forget to share! Thank you!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Disclaimer: I am not a mental health professional. Information contained herein and indeed on my website are all written from a purely personal angle. Read my privacy and disclaimer policies!