About two months ago, while cooking, the cooking gas finished on me! If you are the type that enjoy cooking and healthy home made food, you will understand the dilemma I was thrown into that day.
I was hungry, irritated and greatly vexed! I had no other choice than to place a call to the "Gas man", a local contractor who does home deliveries for cooking gas. So I called and he promised to be at my place in one hour.
Fortunately, what I was cooking wouldn't go bad without heat so I decided to wait. Went to my bedroom and started playing my favorite game, Sudoku on my phone. I kept looking at the time, an hour passed, Mr. Gas man never showed up.
Even 'Sudoku" which I usually play with so much concentration, ignoring all and sundry around me could not hold my attention! By now my stomach has started rumbling and protesting seriously against neglect with so much zealousness like an amnesty member!
I called Mr. Gas man again and he said he had a flat tire! A flat tire?!! For crying out loud, why today? Why didn't the bloody truck break down the previous day or better still after delivering my gas? Lol. I had it bad.
After that call, I had an 'epiphany". Everyone claims to have epiphanies these days so why shouldn't I? In any case I did have an epiphany. I had this sudden energy burst from nowhere so i decided to do some work around my apartment.
Went from cleaning the bathroom, to doing some laundry, then rearranged my bedroom and my bookshelf.
I had some new books I had bought and had yet to arrange in my bookshelf, so I did all that. I also had time to mop the floors even though they weren't dirty. I am one of those persons that are "freaks" with that adage "cleanliness is next to godliness"!
It was when I was cleaning my porch the gas man showed up! Guess what? It was like four hours after I made the call. In the process of doing chores around the house, I completely lost touch of time and also forgot I was hungry!
Time Management & The Waiting Game
In life, people tend to wait all their lives for that job, promotion, money, opportunity, relationship to get better. We tend to lose ourselves while waiting for something to happen in our careers, finances, family, relationships etc. We forget that there are so many things out there that we need to learn, know about and experience.
- We forget that there are a zillion things out there that we need to get involved in, we forget that there is one more professional qualification that we need to secure to climb higher in the ladder of success and be better persons both for ourselves and those around us.
- Why not use that time you are wasting, waiting for a job to go to a skills acquisition center? After all, it is a known and proven fact that true wealth is only acquired and achieved by those who are in business for themselves.
- Why not use that precious time you are languishing on the altar of moodiness and irritability because top management bypassed you for a promotion, to get that professional certification "the one who was promoted by top management got from his/her personal funds?". You may end up being employed by a bigger and greater company!
- Why not go for anger management class instead of bickering more with your spouse/partner because he/she said you have to wake up and manage your anger?
- Use the hours you are wasting at the front of the TV (sedentary lifestyles does result to far reaching health effects like obesity) to volunteer and help people in need at a local charity house or orphanage.
Life is beautiful. The ups and downs makes them even more beautiful if you have a "doing and winning" attitude.
There is no circumstance that is permanent because change is constant and ever will be. Manage and use your time well and you will be on your way to being a happier and more fulfilled person.
What are the "worthwhile" things you have done while waiting? Lets share and see the good, the bad, the ugliest (urghhhhh) and of course the craziest!